Foundation vs Foundationless Beekeeping
If you use Lang hives, you have the option to buy foudation. Foundation solves the problem of the issue of weird comb. It will be straight, nearly guaranteed. Here’s the Pros and Cons as I see it.
- Straight uniform comb
- Control over where the drone comb is made
- It provides support during harvest extraction
- You are adding beeswax from an unknown source into your hive
- You are altering the natural cell dimension of the comb
- It costs money to get foundation and wire
- It robs you of time to put in foundation and wire
- You can’t cutout nice comb honey from a wired foundation
I chose to go without foundation because I’m focused on simplicity, and low cost 3rd world style beekeeping. But that’s me, don’t let it affect you.
If you don’t use foundation, you need to give the bees a guide on where to build comb. Rub beeswax along the top bar, or put in popsicle sticks, or put in strips of foundation to give them a guide.