I got asked again today how to start. Here’s a synopis of my response:
You’ve asked the ground zero question – “How do I get started?”. I get this one alot.
It is late summer. You need to get your ducks in a row for next spring.
1. Order Bees – they will deliver in April next year. If you wait, they won’t have any next spring when you order. I recommend BWeavers near you.
2. Buy a smoker, bee jacket, gloves. Dadant, Brushy Mountain, or Mann Lake all have them.
3. Get on beesource.com and beemaster.com forums. Very newbie friendly. Look for questions you have, there are already years of answers.
4. Prepare the spot where you will put your bees. Make it cow proof.
5. This winter Build several Bait hives for your property, you’ll catch many swarms out there, I’m fairly sure.
6. Buy and read “Idiots guide to Beekeeping”. It is actually fairly in depth and detail, way above Idiot level.