Archive for March, 2024

Visited Liberty Hill Outyard


Checked on new Split, confirmed laying queen. Good brood pattern, 4 frames brood? Removed Boardman feeders, put in a Miller feeder. Added 2 galleons of 1:1 On the mother hive, I really did some work. Confirmed they have almost finished 3 galleons of 1:1. I removed the Dakota super, moved over the medium frames in it to a medium super, left out the dakota supers to be robbed out and recovered later. I also refilled the miller feeder with 2 gallons of 1:1.

The mother hive needed the deep repaired, so I moved all frames to a fixed deep and took home the damaged old one. It really pissed them off. Too many followed me too far, so i suspect some Africanization. However, they produced so much honey last year, I need to do mite checks and save data on productivity on this genetic line.

Mother hive had 6 frames of brood. I think it will need another check next week because I think I could take 2 frames of brood off and create a new nuc. Otherwise it may get close to swarming.

I observed only dewberry in bloom. No signs of Firewheel at the outyard. Did spot one patch of firewheel on the drive home. But that was a lot of driving seeing only 1 patch. So weeks away. Only 2 weeks away maybe?

Willow Blooming – Indian Blanket starting


I have seen willow in full bloom with bees on it, and the early blooming of Indian Blanket in spots. Texas Bluebonnet is still in full swing, and it has to fade before the big honeyflow of Indian Blanket starts.

A visit to the outyard


Split a hive at the outyard March 2. Took 5 frames, leaving the original queen. A couple frames of emerging brood and some fresh eggs. Added a frame of honey. And put on a Boardman feeder with 1qt of 1:1 sugar syrup on both hives.

Now that I visited again, March 22, it has been 20 days, no signs of queen cells. Queen should have been reared and hatch in 17 days. And she should be mating now. Laying eggs in a week. All I saw was sealed brood, no eggs, and a build up of honey and pollen. I gave the split another 2 frame of bees and eggs just in case. Then put on 2 qts of 1:1 sugar syrup. The mother hive I put a miller feeder on and added 2-3 gallons of 1:1.

I’ll check in again in a week or two.