Quick inspection check in the home yard


Blue hive has a Dakota super on it, annoying me. The other dakotas have all been cut down to mediums, even the frames. The dakota has some honey, perhaps 3-5 lb or so. And some crappy looking drone patterns in the honey area. Thought at first I had a laying worker. I also removed the miller feeder. I really need to give them a pail feeder to regulate the syrup intake. Even put in a medium in between the deep and the dakota so I can remove that damn thing.

However, in the deep there are several full frames of brood on the way. Looks like Corey’s mite biter queen is laying away! However, they still have not built out 3 or so frames. I do not like my chances of making honey this year with that hive.

As for the red hive, it has 4-5 frames of bees and most brood is capped, so I expect them to grow 2 frames of bees per week. So June 4 they should be a full 10 frames. These bees are a split of the old hive, so I have no idea on mite resistance, but they were fairly gentle.

I noticed swarm trap #19 had caught a swarm near the creek. I’ve moved it to the truck after dark and will haul it to the outyard tomorrow. That will bring me up to 7 hives out there. If they don’t have brood already, I will steal some from one of the hives. That should keep them from absconding. I’ll throw on a boardman feeder, too, even though there is a honeyflow on. Swarms anchor better with food and brood. I’m likely putting it in a deep because I have lots of those after my big deep build.

Your Reply